GSE’s Balance of Plant (BOP) programs include a team of industry experts focused on supporting the efficient and effective implementation of BOP programs. Our team has extensive utility experience, having developed and implemented customized engineering solutions to support all aspects of plant programs. Active participation in industry activities and staying current with the latest technology developments and programmatic expectations is a cornerstone of our approach. The primary focus of our BOP team includes:
Balance of Plant Programs
- Flow Accelerated Corrosion (FAC) Programs
- Erosion / Mechanical Degradation Programs
- Underground Piping and Tank Programs
- Raw Water & Service Water Programs
- Heat Exchanger Programs
Undetected, corrosion is a safety issue. The GSE team is experienced in Flow-Accelerated Corrosion Programs that keep operators informed and systems safe.
GSE’s FAC team is proficient in program development, implementation, and management, with services that include:
- SSE/SNM Update
- UT Data Analysis
- SNM Subsystem Implementation
- FAC Program Management (Staff Augmentation)
- FAC Procedure Revision • Long-Range Replacement Planning
- CHECWORKS™ SFA Modeling and Calibration
- Determine Long-term (FAC Mitigation) Strategy
- Inspection Planning/Optimization
- FAC Program Training
- Outage Support – On-site/Remote
- Program Assessment
GSE updates and develops comprehensive Erosion Programs, tailored site-specific requirements or broad corporate objectives. Our process and services are based on top industry guidance for a program that mitigates piping degradation due to erosion mechanisms.
The Erosion Program was developed through a systematic evaluation of all station piping and components.
- Basic Document
- CHECWORKS™ SFA Erosion Modeling
- Risk Ranking
- Inspection Scope Development
- Data Evaluation & Trending
- Long-Term Strategy
GSE’s Underground Piping and Tank Integrity (UPTI) Programs can assist utility owners with the development of an effective UPTI program. Our UPTI team is field experienced and has helped shape industry standards. Count on them for risk-reducing programs, implementation, and management.
Our SMEs average 36 years in the power generation and nuclear industries. All have served on or led the industry’s Buried Pipe Integrity Group (BPIG). That experience matters when creating effective UPTI plans, performing assessments, and mitigating risks.
- Procedure / Instruction Writing
- Risk Ranking Database Conversions
- Risk Ranking Database Verification and Validation
- Development of Inspection and Condition Assessment Plans
- Development of Asset Management Plans
- Performance of Program Self-Assessments
- Program Owner Long Term Staff Aug
- Determine Long-term Mitigation Strategy
- UPTI Program Owner Training
GSE’s Raw Water Program services can assist utility owners in developing a formal and effective Raw Water Program. Our team also handles implementation and strategic-asset management plans.
Every Raw Water Piping Program is developed to track and trend degradation within above ground piping, for safety- and non-safety-related raw or service water systems.
- Procedure / Instruction Development, revision or inclusion
- Risk Ranking and Prioritization Verification and Validation
- Risk Ranking Database Development
- Development of Inspection Plans
- Color-Coded P&IDs (Flow Diagrams)
- Performance of Program Self-Assessments
- Program Owner Consulting Support
- Program Owner Mentoring
- On-Site Inspection Support
- Development of Long-term Mitigation Strategies
GSE’s Balance of Plant Program (BOPP) heat exchanger programs focus the reliability of critical heat exchangers through preventative maintenance (PM) tasks. Our principal inspection task is Eddy Current Testing (or similar NDE) of the tubes to minimize tube leaks.
GSE’s BOPP HX and GL 89-13 services address a wide range of heat exchanger and engineering program-related issues, from program scope, procedures, and calculations, to documentation, failure analysis (thermal or tube leak), and margin recovery. Our Heat Exchanger training courses help close gaps in experience or knowledge to meet qualification needs and improve HX reliability and performance.
- Training Courses
- Program Assessments
- Program Document Updates
- AFI/Violation Response Actions
- Root Cause Support
- HX Replacement Support
- Long-Range Planning & Options
- GL 89-13 Commitment Change Basis
- Other Service Offerings
GSE Engineering is a highly experienced team focused on creating innovative ways to meet our customers’ needs using a combination of our industry-leading services and products. The Programs & Performance group (Formerly True North Consulting) leverages decades of specialized expertise in thermal performance and engineering programs that refine and update systems, to optimize performance and safety.